“We’ll never sustain our impact if every time we fix one problem we create another.”

Cocoa Life, the Mondelēz International programme that sources sustainable cocoa, has published its Annual Report with a commitment that by 2025 all Mondelēz chocolate brands will source their cocoa sustainably through the programme.

Currently 43 per cent of Mondelēz’s chocolate sources cocoa through Cocoa Life, meaning that the remaining 57 per cent will need to be brought into the scheme in the next six years.

Chris Montenegro McGrath, the chief sustainability, wellbeing, public and government affairs officer of Mondelēz International said: “I am passionate about Cocoa Life because of the critical connections it makes between the farmers who grow our essential ingredient, cocoa, and the consumers who choose our chocolate brands; between our company’s mission, ‘Snacking Made Right’ and the very beginning of our supply chain; and between farmers’ success and doing good business. As a sector, we’ll never sustain our impact if every time we fix one problem we create another. That’s why, from the beginning, we designed an integrated approach focused on getting to the root of the complex challenges cocoa farmers face.”

When the programme launched in 2012, Mondelēz International committed $400m to Cocoa Life over a decade to help build a cocoa supply chain by increasing cocoa productivity and empowering local cocoa farming communities to improve their resilience. The programme now works with over 142,000 farmers, empowering 1,476 communities in six countries to drive their own development.

    Share Story:

Recent Stories